TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (May 3, 2016) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its NJCAA Region 8 Softball Player and Pitcher of the Week selections for games played April 25-May 1.
Congratulations to Chipola College, FCSAA State Softball Champions, and Florida SouthWestern State College, FCSAA Runners-up. Both teams have qualified for the NJCAA Division I Softball Championship in St. George, Utah.
In Monday’s wild card baseball games, Northwest Florida State College defeated State College of Florida, 9-6 in 10 innings, and the College of Central Florida defeated Miami Dade College, 10-6.
Northwest Florida State and Central Florida will now advance to the 10-team NJCAA Gulf District/FCSAA State Baseball Tournament, which begins Sunday, May 15 and continues through Saturday, May 21 in Lakeland, Fla.
Follow the FCSAA and NJCAA Region VIII sports online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com. The FCSAA is also on Facebook and Twitter @theFCSAA.
NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA Softball Player of the Week
Dana Edmundson, Chipola
Sophomore – CF
Panama City, Fla.
- Named Most Valuable Player at the NJCAA District/FCSAA State Softball Tournament
- Batted .625 (10-for-16) with 10 runs scored, three doubles, three RBIs and six stolen bases in five games; also drew five walks and was hit by a pitch
- Scored in each game and after going hitless in tournament opener, strung together four straight multi-hit efforts
- Was 2-for-2 with three walks, scored four runs and drove in two in 14-2 win over NJCAA No. 2 Central Florida
- Was 2-for-4, scored twice and had two doubles in win over Seminole State to clinch the District G Championship; was 3-for-5 and scored twice in win over NJCAA No. 11 Florida SouthWestern to win the state championship
NJCAA Region 8/FCSAA Softball Pitcher of the Week
Ilona Andringa, Chipola
Sophomore – RHP
- Was 4-0 with 1.04 ERA in five appearances at NJCAA District/FCSAA State Softball Tournament
- Started each of the Indians’ five games and picked up complete-game victories against Miami Dade, NJCAA No. 2 Central Florida, NJCAA No. 11 Florida SouthWestern and Seminole State
- Included was a one-hit shutout against Miami Dade while the win over Seminole State punched the Indians’ ticket to the NJCAA Tournament
- In 27 total innings, she allowed 19 hits, nine runs (four earned) and three walks (0.81 WHIP) while striking out 17