TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (January 29, 2019) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its NJCAA Region 8 Baseball and Softball Player and Pitcher of the Week selections for all games played through January 27.
The first regular season coaches' polls and next Player and Pitcher of the week selections will be released February 5.
Follow the FCSAA and NJCAA Region VIII sports online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com. The FCSAA is also on Facebook and Twitter @theFCSAA.
NJCAA Region 8 Baseball Player of the Week
Lawson Schumacher, Daytona State
Freshman – C
- Batted .625 (5-for-8) with two runs scored, one double and two RBIs in two games during the voting period
- Helped Daytona State to a split of its opening weekend series with Florida State College-Jacksonville
- Was 2-for-4 with two RBIs in game one; 3-for-4 with two runs scored in game two, a 7-3 win
Other nominees: Alvaro Valdez, Eastern Florida State; Sam Koruschak, Polk State
NJCAA Region 8 Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Connor Brian, Eastern Florida State
Freshman - RHP
Coral Springs, Fla.
- 0-0, 1 save and a 0.00 ERA in one appearance during the voting period
- Picked up the four-inning save in the season-opener against South Florida State
- Allowed only one hit and struck out 10
Other nominees: Ryan Gusto, Florida SouthWestern
NJCAA Region 8 Softball Player of the Week
Eila Infante, Chipola
Sophomore – UTIL
- Batted .700 (7-for-10) with six runs scored, one double, three home runs, 13 RBIs and three stolen bases in four games during the voting period
- Hit safely in each game, as the Indians opened the season with four consecutive victories
- Homered and drove in at least three runs in three of the four games, including a six-RBI effort against Navarro; was 2-for-4 and scored a run in a 4-2 win over No. 1 Temple
Other nominees: Sydney Tulin, St. Petersburg; Caitlin Meyer, Eastern Florida State; Shanika Klett, Florida SouthWestern; Ashley Autuori, Northwest Florida State; Ariana Cipriano, Northwest Florida State; Madison Myers, Pensacola State; Giavonna Auricchio, Daytona State; Alexis Baker, Daytona State; Olivia Simon, Central Florida
NJCAA Region 8 Softball Pitcher of the Week
Kelsi Collins, Florida SouthWestern
Sophomore – RHP
- 2-0, 0.00 ERA in two appearances during the voting period
- Picked up wins against Santa Fe and No. 12 Seminole State at the JUCO Kickoff Classic & Showcase
- Struck out 10 in five innings against Santa Fe and finished with 15 Ks total in 10 innings of work for the week; allowed a total of three hits and two runs (both unearned) and had zero walks
Other nominees: Sydney Tulin, St. Petersburg; Amy Woodham, Chipola; Olivia Everett, Eastern Florida State; Shayne O'Connell, Pensacola State; Cloee-Anna Merritt, Daytona State; Carolina Hoppe, Central Florida