TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (January 30, 2018) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its NJCAA Region 8 Baseball and Softball Player and Pitcher of the Week selections for all games played through January 28.
The first regular season coaches’ polls and next Player and Pitcher of the week selections will be released February 6.
Follow the FCSAA and NJCAA Region VIII sports online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com. The FCSAA is also on Facebook and Twitter @theFCSAA.
NJCAA Region 8 Baseball Player of the Week
Jaren Shelby, State College of Florida
Sophomore – OF
- Batted .600 (6-for-10) with five runs scored, two doubles, one home run, six RBI and two stolen bases in three games during the voting period
- Led State College of Florida to a series victory over Gulf Coast State to open the season
- Hit safely and recorded an RBI in each game; was 2-for-3 with three runs scored in the series opener; went 3-for-3 with a homer and three RBI in the series finale
Other nominees: Lee Kay, Florida SouthWestern; Brett Norwood, South Florida State; Griffin Rivers, Pensacola State; Brock Mathis, Northwest Florida State; Kaden Polcovich, Northwest Florida State; Eddy Arteaga, Broward
NJCAA Region 8 Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Christian Camacho, Northwest Florida State
Sophomore - RHP
Hoffman Estates, Ill.
- 1-0, 0.00 ERA in one appearance during the voting period
- Pitched four shutout innings in the Raiders’ 18-2 win at Seminole State
- Allowed only three hits and no walks while striking out seven
Other nominees: Vince Vannelle, Florida SouthWestern; Zach Attianese, State College of Florida
NJCAA Region 8 Softball Player of the Week
Selena Bezares, St. Johns River State
Sophomore – DP
Plant City, Fla.
- Batted .588 (10-for-17) with four runs scored, three doubles, three home runs and 12 RBI in five games during the voting period
- Led St. Johns River State to a 4-1 record at the season-opening JUCO Kickoff Classic
- Hit safely in all five games, including four multi-hit performances
- Was 3-for-4 with a homer and three RBI vs. Gulf Coast State; homered in back-to-back games vs. Palm Beach State (four RBI) and Northwest Florida State (three RBI)
Other nominees: Mereana Makea, Florida SouthWestern; Karli Wollington, Central Florida
NJCAA Region 8 Softball Pitcher of the Week
Lindsay Markham-Rosario, Central Florida
Sophomore – RHP
St. Cloud, Fla.
- 2-0 with one save and a 0.00 ERA in three appearances during the voting period
- In 16 total innings, she allowed five hits, one run (unearned) and four walks while striking out 24
- Tossed an eight-inning complete game and struck out 13 in a 2-1 win over Northwest Florida State; followed that with a five-inning no-hitter (seven strikeouts) vs. Tallahassee
- Recorded the save against Pasco-Hernando State with three shutout innings
Other nominees: Giovanna Watts, Florida SouthWestern