TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (March 14, 2017) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its final NJCAA Region 8 Men’s and Women’s Basketball Player of the Week selections for the 2016-17 season.
St. Petersburg College’s Jason Burnell and Gulf Coast State College’s Taylor Emery are the men’s and women’s players of the week, respectively. Both Burnell and Emery were named most valuable player of their respective state tournament last weekend.
Follow FCSAA Athletics online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com, as well as on Facebook and Twitter.
NJCAA Region 8 Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
Jason Burnell, St. Petersburg
Sophomore – Forward
- Named MVP of the Region 8 Men’s Basketball Tournament
- Averaged 17.0 points, 10.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.7 steals and 0.3 blocks in three games
- Shot 58.8 percent (20-of-34) from the field and 76.9 percent (10-of-13) from the free throw line
- Posted double-doubles in the quarterfinal win over Tallahassee (11 points, 10 rebounds) and in the championship game victory over NJCAA No. 11 Eastern Florida State (19 points, 12 rebounds)
- In between, tallied 21 points and nine rebounds in an overtime victory over NJCAA No. 21 Daytona State
NJCAA Region 8 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Taylor Emery, Gulf Coast State
Sophomore – Guard
- Named MVP of the Region 8 Women’s Basketball Tournament
- Averaged 26.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals and 0.3 blocks in three games
- Shot 54.7 percent (29-of-53) from the field, 64.3 percent (9-of-14) from the three-point line and 84.6 percent (11-of-13) from the free throw line
- After a 23-point effort in the quarterfinals vs. Central Florida, she scored 35 points in a 99-69 win over NJCAA No. 9 Tallahassee in the semis
- Posted 20 points, four rebounds, one assist and two steals in the championship game win over NJCAA No. 5 Chipola